Zealand curriculum framework
How to use the worksheets
How to participate
Worksheet 1: Voting for your Member of Parliament
Role-Playing Elections/Electoral Campaigns/
- How the system works
- Level 5: Participating in political process.
- Level 6: Making choices about governing.
Find pictures of four people. Suggest one topic each of
them might be concerned
about in your school and neighbourhood.
Role-playing inside the classroom: MMP
There are two kinds of Members of Parliament under the MMP voting system Party
List MPs and Electorate MPs.
- (20 min) Divide into groups of 3 - 4 students. Choose one person to
act as your group's 'electorate candidate'. As a group, prepare a two-minute
campaign speech about one or more local issues raised by the people in
the pictures you picked.
- (20 min) Choose a Chairperson (possibly the teacher). Present your
campaign speech to the class.
- (10 min) Set up a voting box with a Supervisor. Hand out voting papers
with names of the candidates listed and instructions about voting procedure.
Vote in a secret ballot for the person in your class to be your electorate
MP. The Supervisor counts the votes and announces the result.
- (5 min) Class discussion about voting procedure. Did everyone participate?
If not, why not?
- Plan how you could get your electorate MP to become a member of the
'government' give example.
Information about the MMP system is available from the Electoral